Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Update


I have survived my first 3 days of classes!  It amazes me how God prepared me for this class and style of teaching.  Because I only have 5 students it is so relaxed and it reminds me of tutoring rather than lecturing!  With that being said though, I really need to thank (and give a shout out to) all of my high school teachers.  I’m exhausted just preparing and teaching 1 class, I can’t imagine what it’s like to teach 4-5 classes with 20+ crazy high school students.  Then on top of that, to make it exciting and to still have energy at the end of the day to keep us engaged is such a raw talent!

More good news, God has been working on our housing situation in mighty ways.  Currently (if you didn’t know), we are living in an Adventist family’s home while they are still on furlough in the States. They will be coming back to Papua soon and so we are need of another place.  There are many reasons as to why we cannot stay on the compound of Adventist Aviation.  One being there’s no room, and if did cram with another family then we would have no personal space (when culture shock kicks in we will desperately need space). Another issue is that we are trying to build the bridge for future student missionaries and would like to have a permanent place for them to call home.  I’m excited to be immersed in the local culture and language, but I’m also rather nervous.  Living in the nearby neighborhoods means I’ll be even further pushed out of my comfort zone. But this is just part of being an SM, right? Pastor Darron believes the house is safe, and there are other church members nearby to keep an eye on us.  The plan is to move in on Sunday. I’ll definitely post pictures of our humble abode when we are all moved in.

Tomorrow morning, we leave for Beach Trip!! Basically, Hillcrest takes all of its high school students out to one of the remote beaches. We will camp there Thursday-Saturday. I’ve only heard good things about it from the students so I’m super excited about being able to tag along.  That also means I won’t have connection to the outside world for a little bit.  But it shouldn’t be long, unlike when we go interior (which I am also super excited about!!)  

One last thing I would like to mention though, is really requesting prayers.  The other day we went to visit a lady who’s daughter has been very sick.  Her hair is falling out, she has no energy, and quite a lot of other strange symptoms.  Ruth was originally thinking it was an endocrine dysfunction but there are other symptoms that don’t match any thyroid disorders.  The Papuan doctors are stumped as well and gave her the diagnosis of “stop thinking so much, and you’re hair will grow back.” Prayers for her and her family, as well as granting us the wisdom to know what’s going on would be greatly appreciated.

2 comments:

  1. Proud of you! Wish I could tag along camping! Guessing it's very hot and humid at sea level though!? Definitely prayers going up on your behalf and now for your mysteriously sick friend. First "nursing" patient?
    Wolf

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's wonderful that you've had some creative and talented teachers to help launch you into this unexpected, 10-month career. God is good!! He does know us from the beginning and end. He's obviously planned some great things for you.
    Please give us the first name of the ill daughter you referenced in your blog, so we can pray specifically for her.
    It's laughable, but sad, the superstitions that prevail as medical advice.
    Praying for your PAK:-)!! LOVE & MISS YOU!!

    ReplyDelete