Sunday, April 2, 2017

April Countdown

"KD!! GUESS WHAT?!" Paige says as she come bursting into the kitchen. I scan my still sleepy brain for a guess ... I come up empty.  She answers before I can give a sarcastic remark, "We only have 39 days left here!" .... 

That's it?! Where has the time gone? ... 39 before I am home... 39 days before I have to say good bye to a place that has become my home.... 39 days before I see my loved ones whom I've missed for so long... 39 days before I start missing the people I've grown to love.... 

So in order to make the most of every precious day I have left here I've decided to start a 30 day challenge for the month of April.  My last full month here in Papua.  Everyday I plan on taking a photo and writing an excerpt about it.  Some may be incredibly short, others may be emotionally long.  Either way I hope to capture my last month here; slowing it down just a tad so my heart will not be torn (too much) as I race towards the finish line. 

April 1, 2017:  Self-Portrait 
April 2, 2017: What I Wore Today

I decided to combine the first two (because I'm starting a day late).  


Over the past few months we've developed a relationship with some of the neighborhood kids. Sometimes they come several times a week, and sometimes we don't see them for long spans of time.  Today we heard Susan's voice (girl in yellow) and agreed to let them in to play with our soccer ball. Lacking the words to say more than, "What's your name?" or "How old are you?", I simply sat outside watching them play, They even swept our porch/patio area for us. Eventually, Susan came over and started lightly touching my hair.  She was so excited when I released the messiness from its bun and like all little girls, they both found great joy in braiding sections and creating new hair styles.  So this is my self portrait, and what I wore today was a smile! 

1 comment: