Sunday, September 25, 2016

Bananas

    This is a story for those who have a strong stomach. If you do not fit into that category continue at your own risk. So bananas. Everyone loves a good banana, right? We all need the potassium. Here in Papua we have 2-3 major types of bananas. One very closely resembles the lady fingers we have in the states. Another looks like a smaller version of the typical bananas. And lastly, there are green bananas (which even when they are fully ripe they stay green).
      When we first started buying our food here we were warned about finding unwanted guests feasting both on and in our produce. Which is one of the many reasons why we bleach our market veggies, and freeze our flour and sugar before using it (killing any critters ). But there are some things we don't bleach. For example, bananas. We quickly learned about banana bugs (basically, a long black earwig) one morning as it came scurrying out from between two bananas. Paige so far has been the man of the house and took our unwanted guest out back.
     Yet, giant earwigs aren't even the worst part. The other day Ashley and I were taking the slightly over ripe bananas and preparing them for freezing. We were peeling rather quickly until out of the corner of my eye I saw something moving. I bring the mushy banana close to look and nothing. I shrug and begin putting the it in the freezer bag when again I think I see something. Once more, I look closely for a few seconds. Suddenly my eyes focus on the culprit. Maggots! Dozens of tiny white maggots squirming around in the banana and that's when I feel them starting to crawl on to my hands! I couldn't wash my hands fast enough!! We then had to go back through the bag and double check all the peeled bananas.  Unfortunately, we found more maggots in the bag!
     Needless to say, every time I open a banana now I can't help but stare for awhile just to be sure.  

No comments:

Post a Comment