Wednesday, September 14, 2016

First “Pasar” Market


September 7, 2016
This morning, I got to go to the pasar (or Market) for the first time.  It was just…. delightfully overwhelming.  Think of Friday afternoon Walmart trips in Collegedale, where the entire town is out shopping! Then add the fact that it’s outside, the food is neatly displayed on burlap or plastic sacks on the ground, there’s little air movement, you don’t speak the language well, and you have to shoo the occasional cockroach off your veggies.  Oh, and that you’re skin is purple or green and so everyone stares at you and some try to get your attention.  But really everyone staring or calling out, “Hey mister!” is becoming a normal occurrence for us here.
The food here is wonderfully cheap.  And we can get plenty of fresh fruits and veggies at the pasar.  We do have to sift through the piles though, because it’s not uncommon to find worms or maggots in the rice or over ripe fruit. Rest assured though, we soak all of our food in bleach water to kill off any unwanted bugs and bacteria.  So far the bleach seems to be doing the trick. None of us have gotten too sick here *knocks on wood*.  I’ve accepted my fate that it will hit me (again) at some point while I’m here, but for now we’ve been blessed.  Plus, all the Doxycycline we’re on for malaria probably helps a little.  My biggest problem so far has been dehydration.  Ruth says we should be drinking 3-4L a day, but I barely get 1L down.  So I really need to step it up!
But for now, enjoy your air-conditioned Cos-Co and Walmart runs for me, and I’ll enjoy the cheap prices for you!





Snake fruit and oranges
Jack fruit








No comments:

Post a Comment